Nest is the trendsetter in the thermostat space. The original smart thermostat, they are now on their 3rd generation of the Nest Learning Thermostat and still delivering features and functionality that set them apart from the majority. Connected to your homes WiFi and HVAC system Nest delivers a wide range of automated features to keep your comfort level high and your bill low. Nest has expanded its reach with a huge “Works with Nest” movement supporting a long list of home automation products allowing them to work together in your automation efforts.
Its hard to believe that Nest has been innovating our homes sine 2011, when the first generation Nest Learning thermostat was released. The team at Nest established a new segment and quickly went gang busters, were purchased by Alphabet Inc. (Google) in 2014. Now continue to grow expanding their product line with smoke detectors and with the purchase of Dropcam. As part of the huge Google family, one can only wonder whats on the horizon as these solutions evolve.
In this review I will go through the Nest and all of its great features like Sunblock, Airwave, Cool to dry and others. I will also review all the apps and how you can integrate the Nest into you current home system as well as its compatibility with a couple of the more popular smart home hubs like Wink and SmartThings.
As I mentioned above, Works with Nest is a quickly growing list of 3rd party products that have been certified to work with Nest and become part of their Eco-system. I will go through some of the apps and functionality you can expect later in the review. I will look at controlling Nest with Wink smart hub, Amazon Echo, and even discuss Apple Home Kit.
The Nest thermostat is widely distributed you can find them at your favorite DIY store. Most of which these days have a growing home automation section, featuring switches, hubs, thermostats and more. You can also purchase it on their website or Amazon for $249. Nest has even started offering them with designer ring colors. Now you can have this great looking device match the decor you have worked so hard to put together.
If you are interested in a Nest thermostat, and have not pulled the trigger to purchase one yet. Check with your local power company. There are many rebates in place to subsidize your purchase of a Nest Learning Thermostat. I came across one for $75 dollars off, and the ability to enroll in a special cost savings program.
Nest has resources on their website to help you locate rebates and programs available in your area. Definitely worth checking out. There are a lot of initiatives to lower energy usage, it could be the extra little nudge, or discount you needed.
In this review, along with going through all the features of the Nest Learning Thermostat, I will go over all the programs and information as well. Nest has put a lot of energy into the package they provide.
We have all seen the leaf they use as the energy saving indicator. They take it to another level and send you monthly energy reports, that detail your energy usage.
There is a even a competitive edge as they match you up to other nest users in your area. Allowing you to stretch the thermal limits a little more if your looking to be in the upper percentile.
The Nest Learning Thermostat is a performer, chocked full of features and functionality. Before I dive into this review let me provide you the all important reader with some of the highlights you will find on the following pages.
Nest Learning Thermostat (3rd Gen.) – Highlights
- Works with Nest – Industry leading compatibility program to ensure you can integrate Nest. This includes Wink, Smart things, Amazon Echo, and so many more switches and technologies.
- 2-Year Limited warranty, competitive $249 price point.
- Applications available for Android / Apple and wearable s.
- Home and Away learning functionality set a schedule to your habits without you having to schedule or program the Nest.
- Home and Away Assit allows you to use your phone and other devices to enable geo-fencing and motion detection.
- Lock, lock your Nest Learning Thermostat and provide a limited range of adjustment.
- Easy interface, with a simple turn you can adjust your heat / cooling for a temporary time period.
- Scheduling is available through the App, the Nest Thermostat or the Nest website if you want to configure it manually.
- A host of advanced features you won’t find on other Thermostats.
- Farsight – When Nest senses you in a room it will light up and show you the temp.
- Airwave – Nest will run the Fan to circulate the cool air in your house and give the AC a break.
- Sunblock – Nest will detect if it is in direct sunlight and adjust the temperature accordingly.
- Cool to Dry – will reduce the humidity in your home and keep your home comfortable.
- Early On – Starting to adjust the temperature early so that your home is the temperature you want when you want it.
- True radiant – To work with Radiant heating systems that are built into flooring and cielings. Working to keep them in sync with your heating needs.
- Heat Pump Balance – Nest will work to help your heat pump keep up with the cold or give it a boost if need be with AUX heat.
As you can see the Nest team has put lots of thought into the Nest thermostat. The features listed above truly bring value and functionality to your home. They all work to maximize the effort of your heating system and getting the most out of the time it spends working. On the next page we will start to get into the details and dig deeper. I will review the installation processes and go over the initial setup.