Leviton’s latest smart product marks a significant advancement in the development of smart home automation, with Matter integration for the Decora Smart Wi-Fi Outdoor Plug-In Switch. While you can find smart outdoor plugs in the $20 range, none of those have Matter compatibility, so Leviton’s $68.73 price point—while on the higher end for a product of its type—may be worth the buy if you’re outfitting your home with Matter.
A high-end price demands high-end capabilities. The Leviton Decora Smart Wi-Fi Outdoor Plug-In Switch has:
- A IP65 waterproof rating, so you can rest assured that it can withstand even the worst weather
- A built-in light sensor to sense ambient light conditions and adjust activation or deactivation automatically based on those conditions—lights on at sundown, off at sunrise
- The ability to be used to power anything from string lights to hydroponic gardens, aquarium pumps, and more
- An app to control it and set schedules
- Native compatibility with Alexa, Google Home, HomeKit, SmartThings, and IFTTT
To use the plug with Matter, it does require a Matter hub. You may already have one if you have a smart speaker, home hub, or other product from one of the major companies mentioned above. Check to see if your products are secretly Matter hubs.
Where to Get the Smart Plug
The Leviton Decora Smart Wi-Fi Outdoor Plug-In Switch is the first of its kind, but it won’t be the last. Other manufacturers will follow suit. Roku has smart outdoor plugs for less than $20 for two plugs, and if they chose to integrate Matter into those, I bet they would keep their prices low.
Is $68.73 too steep? That depends. If you have the need, you have the need, and the product is there to serve. If you’d rather wait, you can, but no one knows how long that will be. With the rate of innovation in the smart technology industry, you might not have to wait long, but it could be a bit too long for your project. It’s up to your discernment. You can get the Leviton Decora Smart Wi-Fi Outdoor Plug-In Switch from their website.